Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cascade Hop Harvest


So my cascade hops decided to produce hop leafs. It was very exciting to see them grow. They looked like they couldn't grow any larger and were opening up slightly and were somewhat dry to touch. So Jenny went to town and plucked the first batch.

I just ripped out some windows in the front of the house, so I saved some screens. There is one on top and bottom. The light puts off just enough heat that you can feel a temp difference near the hops and there is about a foot of air below them. This is on my back porch, so it's somewhat of a controlled enfironment. Next year I will be more technical about drying.


7 comments:

richt said...

Congrats on the harvest! Any idea how much you'll have? Kristen is checking on my yard tomorrow.

Bri said...

We plucked only half of the hops that have grown. Once dry, I'm guessing this batch will be between 1 and 2 oz, or at least I'm hoping. The odd thing is that I still can't smell anything. So, I'm hoping once dry the aroma will kick in.

Matt Andrews said...

I plucked one off of my vine this afternoon and gave her a squeeze and that's when the aroma showed up! So give that a shot, I did notice some of the oil stuff, can't think of the name right now. Either way, mmmmmmm beer!!!

richt said...

I just picked about half of my crop tonight, mostly Cascade. I think you're thinking of lupulin Matt? Yeah, if you rub a cone, especially the tiny yellow glands, you should be able to smell em.

Matt Andrews said...

Yeah! That's it, I do believe I was a little toasty when I posted that....

I am holding out on my hops, they still look green, so we will see. I think it will be very soon though....

Matt Andrews said...

How about a dried picture?

richt said...

Alright slacker, you going to update someday or what?