Monday, July 14, 2008

Cascade Hops


Here is my first and only hop plant that survived this year. 3 other rhizomes didn't make it unfortunately. Looking closer at the image you will see that there is one main bine and a bunch of branches. The main bine is about shoulder height right now. It's been chilling at this height for about 2 weeks now with slower vertical growth, but a lot of horizontal growth. I think the roots may have hit the clay bowl that I had dug out. As long as it gets growth it's all good. The second bine started taking off as well and a third just started coming up too. No flowers buds yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to harvest for one batch this year. If not, it was fun raising this year



Update 8/3/08


I lengthend the pole by about 1.5' and ran a line over to the garage this weekend. The tallest vine is now I'm guessing about 10' and there are 3 or 4 about 3' shorter.



It also has some flowering on the upper half of the plant.





1 comment:

Matt Andrews said...

I've read about people getting no flowers at all the first year. So that's what I'm telling myself to not get disappointed! haha! The first year is for root strength and growing. So hopefully you'll get some flowers though,that would be bad ass! I'm going to frame my first flower!